Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic ceremonies win

As my friends and I were watching the Olympic ceremonies tonight, we were all guessing who would light the Olympic torch. Over two hours later, Rick Hansen rolled into the Olympic games with the Olympic torch. And together, Hansen, Wayne Gretzky, Nancy Greene, Steve Nash, Rick Hansen, and Catriona Le May Doan lit the Olympic torch in the stadium.

Every day, I am reminded that people with disabilities are considered lesser by society. Which is why, when Rick Hansen rolled in tonight bringing the torch, I smiled so wide my face hurt. Canada has this night to show off to the world what they are all about, and they decided to show off Hansen, a decorated paralympian. I am going to try to hold onto this happiness and hope.

The photo shows three smiling people holding Olympic torches at the opening ceremonies of the Olympic games. Hansen is sitting in his wheelchair on the left, a white man is standing in the middle, and a white woman is standing on the right.

This photo was found on India Times' website.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Assiya.

    It's great to see the torch.

    And I didn't even watch it!

    I've talked with people like Glenda Watson Hyatt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I just today realized I don't follow your blog? (As in google follow, I come here all the time). Don't worry, I remedied this. That's awesome about the paralympian being featured-- I'm glad it made you smile. :)

    ~Robyn

    ReplyDelete